About Us » FAQs


Black Mountain Middle School Frequently Asked Questions


What do I do when my child is absent?
A parent or legal guardian must call the Attendance Hotline at (858) 484-1300 ext 3806 by 10am on the morning of the absence. California requires absences to be excused by a parent/legal guardian.


What if I need to pick my child up early? 
1.  Call the Attendance hotline, 858-484-1300 ext 3806.   Be sure to call at least 2 hours before your child needs to leave.   Include your child's name, reason for early dismissal, time you will pick-up your child.  The messages are checked throughout the day.
2.  Have your child bring a note to the Attendance Office before school telling us what time you need him or her in the office, reason for early dismissal, and time you will pick-up your child.  
Please come into the Front Office to sign your child out of school.  All students must be signed out.
3.  If you walk-in without prior notice, please note: identification will be required.  In addition, there may be a delay in your child reporting to the Front Office. 

See Daily Schedule


What do I do if my child forgot something at home?
Messages and forgotten items may be brought to the Front Office.  Students may check on their own for items during break, passing periods, lunchtime, or after school.  Classes will not be interupted. 


What do I do if my child will be late?
If a student is not in their seat by 8:00 am [Warning bell sounds at 7:56 am] and on Late Start Wednesdays 9:20 am [Warning bell sounds at 9:16 am], they are tardy. They will need to check- in at the attendance desk. If your child’s tardy is to be excused, a parent or legal guardian needs to call and leave a message on the attendance hotline.  If you are unable to call, please either send your child with a signed note, or walk your child in.  If a student has an un-excused tardy that is more than 30 minutes late he or she will be considered truant to their missed classes. See Attendance Information


What do I do if we have to take our child on a trip with us, or will be out for a medical reason?
If there is a planned absence for three (3) to fourteen (14) or more consecutive days, please contact the attendance clerk at least one week prior to the absence to set up a homework contract for the student. This allows the student to do the work that he or she would be doing if they were in class and helps the school to continue to be funded by the state. (Note: OCIS contracts will not be made for medical absences; however, home tutors may be appropriate for some extended medical problems. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Connie Hunt, BMMS Attendance Clerk, at [email protected] or 858-484-1300 ext. 3906.


How do I get homework for unplanned absences?
The best way to get homework is to check MyPlan, the teacher’s website, or contact the teacher by email.


What if there is a problem with my child’s lunch account?
Myschoolbucks.com is an online payment portal especially designed to allow parents to make quick and easy online payments to their children's school accounts. The system allows parents to manage their children's lunch accounts.  https://www.myschoolbucks.com  | http://pusdnutrition.powayusd.com


What if my child needs to contact me?
A phone is available for use in the Front Office.


What if I don’t want my child to do P. E.?
State law says that parents may excuse a student from P. E. for up to three days, after which they must have a doctor’s excuse.
See PE Department Page


What if my child needs to stay after school?
Students are to be off campus by 3:00 p.m. unless they are in the Academy or ASES or are
attending a supervised activity, i.e. – Power Hour, Teacher Tutorial, or Clubs, etc.
See ASES for Before and After School Programs


What if my child needs to take medicine (even Tylenol) at school?
Before any medication (prescribed or over-the-counter) can be given during school hours, an Authorization for Medication Administration form (PUSD H-26) must be on file. Both physician and parent/guardian signatures are required. All medication is kept in the Health Office and must be in the prescription container or original packaging, labeled with the student's name. The Health Technician will supervise self-administration of the medication during school hours. If a medical condition warrants a student to have immediate access to their medication, a physician and parent must sign an Authorization to Carry Medication While At School form (PUSD H-26B), allowing the student to carry their medication with them during school hours.
Exceptions: Sunscreen, lip balm, throat lozenges, contact lens solution, and cough drops.
See District Health Information & Forms   |   BMMS Health Information


How do I contact my child’s teacher?
You can e-mail via our website or call them. During school hours calls go directly to voice mail. See the teacher contact Information.


  1.  What do we do if my child loses their bus pass?   A lost bus pass costs money to be replaced ($20 for lost or stolen passes). $5 to replace mutilated passes - Check current prices). You or your child should bring the money to our office. Your child will get a temporary bus pass, and we will order a new bus pass. You can also go directly to the transportation office on Twin Peaks Road.
  2.  Can my child ride the bus without a bus pass? Yes, but each ride costs money. Check with Transportation for the current price.
  3.  Do the students need a special bus pass to ride the activity bus? Yes. Students must be with an adult on campus between 2:50 and 3:50, and then get an activity bus pass from that teacher. Also, if they don’t have a regular bus pass, they must be prepared to pay for the bus ride.
  4.  Can my child ride the bus to a friend’s house? Yes, but they must have your written permission and the note must also be signed by a faculty member in the office.
  5.  What if my child lost something on the bus? PUSD Transportation maintains its own lost and found. If they know who owns the lost item, they will send it to the school through our District mail (which takes a couple of days). You can also call transportation at 858-679-2636 to see if they have your lost item.
  6.  What if I have a concern about the bus/bus driver? Please call transportation directly at 858-679-2636.